Monday, July 31, 2006

Structural violence and its intersectionalities

This is a snippet by BrownFemPower from the Radical Women of Color Think Tank:

"The nation/state, men of color, violence against women of color

So I've had two thoughts twirling around in my head for the last week or two--both of them presented to by two polar opposite folks.

First, I got an email from Poor Boy about a recent graduation from Army Boot Camp he attended. Poor Boy noticed that many of the graduates of the camp were men of color, and in many cases, men of color who were not U.S. citizens.

Then, Nappy As I Wanna Be informed me about a horrific gang rape of a young Latina girl by a group of grown black men.

Although these conversations might not necessarily seem related (and I think Poor Boy was looking at the subject he emailed me about in a different way than what I am going to address here), I think that the two incidences are very much related and so I want to address them as such."

Find out what the important connections are, and how these connections include the intersectionalities of race, gender, colonialism, and violence at the Radical Women of Color Think Tank

No comments: